Login    Register

Adding GNSmud to MUDsites

We want to hear your ideas on how to improve the game!
  • Author
Adding GNSmud to MUDsites

Postby Dell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm

So, with new players, and maybe some momentum, we could submit pages to the top MUDsites, giving us the tiniest chance of gaining more players. I assume we don't have anything against it, since
Patches on Reddit, on inviting new players wrote:I talked to the server owner, and he said, AND I QUOTE... "knock yourself out".

The links to SDmud on most pages are pointing to the old sdmud.org, so even if someone were to stumble upon their page, players wouldn't even find their way there. So I was wondering if this is something we can do as and community project, and collaborate on what to write on the description tags, and so on. We can have this post as an status update on where we have submitted things, so we don't do it twice anywere(unlikely). Finally, I think we could make a shameless plug on r/MUD, posted by Patches or someone with much karma, ghostwritten by whoever.

I'll update the post whenever we have done a submission somewhere so we know what's done and what's left.

The big questions are, Under what name do we submit them, and what description? I think it fair to use some description of SDmud as inspiration.

The biggest sites:

Other suggestions are welcome.

Wikipedia is a long shot, but could be listed as one of the DikuMUDs I guess(and adding ShadowMUD too), but not much other to reference yet so bad idea, will just be removed. If we have a info on a few sites with a description and short history, one line somewhere might be resonable on on the mudrelated pages, or just a fleeting mention.
Last edited by Dell on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dell

Re: Adding GNSmud to MUDsites

Postby Zax » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Well, in the immortal (literally) words of Maxum, "Knock yourself out!"

A strong word of caution however. You are playing on GNSMud, not Shadowdale Mud. The orginal Shadowdale MUD does actually still exist. So please, DO NOT go around posting links to GNSMud and calling it Shadowdale MUD. And DO NOT go updating links that refer to Shadowdale MUD to point to GNSMud.

You may say that GNSMud is based on Shadowdale MUD with updated code and new features.
Zax...
Zax

Postby Dell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Zax wrote:A strong word of caution however. You are playing on GNSMud, not Shadowdale Mud. The orginal Shadowdale MUD does actually still exist. So please, DO NOT go around posting links to GNSMud and calling it Shadowdale MUD. And DO NOT go updating links that refer to Shadowdale MUD to point to GNSMud.

You may say that GNSMud is based on Shadowdale MUD with updated code and new features.

Yeah, this is the thing I wanted to hear. Is the GNS a acromym btw?
Dell

Postby Brennor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:08 pm

GNS stands for "GNS Not Shadowdale".
Brennor

Postby Dell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Added to MUD wikia, and filled out ShadowDale's page too.
Sumitted to MUDstats.com and mudconnect

Brennor wrote:GNS stands for "GNS Not Shadowdale".

I assume this is a joke?
Dell

Postby Brennor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Probably a recursive acronym like GNU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU)
Brennor

Postby Dell » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Brennor wrote:Probably a recursive acronym like GNU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU)

Yeah that's true.

Anyway, GNSmud is on Mudconnect now. I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have an logo, or at least an ascii logo for GNSmud? Something like this, on the login and frontpage:
Attachments
GNSmud_ascii_logo.png
GNSmud_ascii_logo.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 71649 times
Dell

Postby luna_sexton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Nice Logo!
I hate missings posts and finding them a MONTH later...
luna_sexton

Postby Dell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

How can you miss with a slowpaced forum like this? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I have it as an Ascii form if we wanna slap it somwhere, I put it on the mudconnect's page too so it would have something to go for. And at least more than one player have stopped by here from the listing on the sites so it was worth it :D
Dell

Postby Zax » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 am

I think it would look great on the Welcome screen when we connect to the MUD.
Zax...
Zax

Return to Ideas & Feedback